Why is it that the shortest weeks are always the craziest? Food took a backseat to a large amount of nonsense this week, as evidenced by the fact that I did not remember to thaw any of the fish or meat I used in this week’s recipes which required some creative thinking. I also planned a recipe that I didn’t get around to making at all. Look for it next week.
I didn’t dislike any of these, but there were no home runs like there have been in previous weeks. I think this is partly my fault due to messing up the meat (and other ingredients, sigh), especially since I had made all of these previously and obviously liked them enough to repeat.
Sunday: Parmesan crusted tilapia, served with Ranch broccoli (broccoli not my recipe, just used a pre-seasoned steamer bag)
- This is a repeat from several weeks ago before I started this blog. It’s not the most well-written recipe (see “1 salt” and “1 pepper” for “salt and pepper to taste”) but I use the cheese and breadcrumb proportions as a base and season however I like. I find that this amount of seasoning is more appropriate for 2 filets than 4. Simple light meal when you scarfed down a ton of football food for lunch.
Monday: Greek-style beef skillet with pasta.
- Wanted to make something where I could use more of the feta cheese from the meatloaves 2 weeks ago. My mom found this recipe a few years ago and it’s been a regular in the rotation ever since. Solid choice.
Wednesday: Slowcooker porkchops with baked beans, cole slaw.
- Another finding from my mom. We always sub poultry seasoning with Old Bay. This makes pork chops so tender you will never make pork chops in the oven again. I had brain freeze when it came to sides for this so I unintentionally went with BBQ sides. This was definitely a recipe where I felt like using the frozen meat made the recipe suffer.
I totally made up the cole slaw, tasting and adjusting as I went. I only had red cabbage and didn’t want to buy any more cabbage; I also didn’t totally like any of the red cabbage slaw recipes I found online. Here’s my best guess of what ended up in the slaw:
2 cups shredded red cabbage
1 medium carrot, shredded
¼ onion, chopped
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp white vinegar
3 tbsp light mayo with olive oil
2 tsp sugar
Other non-dinner things I made…
- Black bean dip, again from 2 weeks ago. This time it was for others to consume 🙂
- Apple cider margaritas. NOM. Silver tequila works just fine.